Saturday, September 26, 2026
Parental Empathy and Child Well-being Concerns in Modern Society
Hi y'all, fellow nerds!
I just finished watching a YouTube video about a man in his 20s who recently attempted suicide. Having had my own struggles with suicidal thoughts, I found the reaction of his parents particularly troubling; they treated him like he was the problem, yelling at him as if he were a criminal. It seems that many parents today lack understanding and empathy for their children. Too often, children are seen merely as a means to an end—a way to elevate social status and gain validation from society.
Indeed, many parents today shy away from the hard work of parenting, which could explain why this young man felt driven to attempt suicide. As a person in my 50s, I can relate to the challenges of being in your 20s; I also felt as though no one cared about me. The main difference is that I never turned to drugs or alcohol, which can worsen suicidal thoughts. Parents often want their children to just be compliant while they focus on their own ambitions, and this lack of support can lead to devastating outcomes.
It seems that families today, particularly since the late 1990s, often operate not out of love but out of competition. Siblings compete against each other, and parents compete with their children for attention and approval. This dynamic might explain the tragic outcome of a popular actress like Hayden Panettiere. I can envision her struggle: trying to find her path while dealing with a father who was overly attracted to her and a mother who felt insecure. This kind of environment can lead a person to feel unloved and ultimately result in tragedy, as seen in her drug overdose.
This cycle of neglect contributes to the growing homeless population in America. A study conducted in 2010 found that one in three people in the U.S. displayed narcissistic traits—caring only for themselves. I'm sure that number has increased over time. The pressure to succeed in your 20s, to establish a family and a stable life, is immense. It's remarkable that I've never turned to drugs or alcohol, despite growing up in a similarly narcissistic family as many others.
I genuinely hope that this young man finds peace. I believe many people sense that he is a good person, and it’s concerning how some may manipulate him into substance abuse. For instance, one friend in my town repeatedly tried to pressure me into consuming extremely strong alcohol and drugs. I also have someone at Starbucks who I suspect is trying to do the same thing.
It’s unfortunate that some people, recognizing the goodness in others, feel compelled to sabotage their paths. Their motives are selfish; they prey on good people, hoping to drag them into a life of addiction or other harmful behaviors. And when these good individuals face the consequences, the manipulative ones often evade responsibility, claiming they were only encouraging a friend to "just try it." Unfortunately, many bad people take pleasure in the downfall of those who are genuinely good.
I HATE PEOPLE!!!
HATE THEM SO MUCH!!!!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment